Oct 12, 2011

Andy's train table is now a Lego table!


My son Andy is 5 and he has always loved all things that move, so he was thrilled to receive a train table when he was 2 yrs old.  The thing is, he never really got into playing with trains.  The table quickly turned into a parking lot for his cars which served a good purpose for a while, but over the past year it's been collecting stickers and not "working" in his room.  I had been thinking about giving it away, when I came across a Lego playroom on Pinterest.  This room had Lego building plates stuck to an entire wall... how awesome is that?!?!!  Since Andy has recently become very interested in building with Lego blocks, it gave me the idea for a great use of his train table... I would convert it into a Lego table, I just knew Andy would go nuts for it.

Here is the original train table.


I flipped the boards over so he would still have the train table to play with if he chose to.


I first used double-sided craft tape, just wanted keep the option open for removing the building plates if need be.  Wasn't the best idea, the plates lifted when the kids pulled apart their creations.  Then I used hot glue, also not a good choice because it lifted, too!  Finally, I used an all purpose craft Tacky Glue which did the trick beautifully!!  :)  This table took 6 Lego building plates to cover.


So far, so good... it's only been completed for a couple of weeks and all three of my little one's have logged quite a few hours of play in Andy's room.  I love to have an activity like Lego's that work so many skills like fine motor, creativity, thinking three-dimensionally and of course team work to name a few...  but most of all an opportunity for my kiddos to all play together and have fun.... oh yeah- there is one more bonus for mommy... a little down time to get some stuff done around here!! :)


3 comments:

  1. We had a train table too in Vinnie's room for the longest time, but it never got used. We gave it away when he was too old for Thomas the Tank Engine, but I wish we would have saved it because now he likes to play with Legos at his friend's house. Who would have thought? Really great transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eliesa :) I know this one will get so much use over the next few years!

    ReplyDelete